From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:27:46 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 10:45:53 +1000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "Doubly-landlocked countries" - 5 more with * (fwd)

>Switzerland, being landlocked, has one piece each of Italy and
>Germany inside it, creating a Liechtenstein-like parallel for these
>portions of their respective mother countries.

Busingen exists, sure. Can anyone tell me what happened to the nearby farm
of Verena hof, which in the mid 50s and for some time in the 60s was also
German, inside Schaffhausen canton about 200m from the gemrna border, but
has disappeared from subsequent maps. Robinson noted it in his 1950s work
on exclaves but Catudal's 1970s work doesn't list it. It seems to have been
transferred in between times back to Switzerland, but why, when and in
exchange for what?

>With respect to Azerbaijan, it has a small piece or two in the extreme
>northwest of it inside otherwise landlocked Armenia.

There are 2. There is also an Armenian village inside Azerbaijan in this
northern corner, making 3 in total
But see below

>There's also a
>piece of Naxcivan Autonomous Replublic (which is a large detached
>piece of of Azerbaijan) inside Armenia.  So, if you consider than an
>autonomous republic of Azerbaijan belongs on the list, then it too,
>should be added.

Nagorno Karabakh has declared independence, and is inside landlocked
Azerbaijan. Further, there are 2 or 3 pieces of Azerbaijan inside it, and 2
or 3 fragmentary pieces of N-K inside Azerbaijan
Or, at least there WERE, as since the Azeri-Armenian conflict of the early
90s, these may all only exist on paper. The Nagorno-Karabakh bits also seem
to doffer in number depending upon which map one looks at, presumably
because the authorities kept changing the boundary.

>Tajikistan and Uzbekistan are others.  The have three exclaves between
>them (the Uzbeks having two), in Kyrgyzstan's southwestern panhandle.
>All three of these countries are landlocked, meaning they too, can be
>added to the asterisked part of the list.

There are about 7 bits of Tajikistan or Uzbekistan inside Uzbekia and
kirgizia respectively, some with resonable sized towns, others seemingly
just a couple of fields.
Does anyone have access to Soviet maps of this area (Ferghana Valley) at
1:200 000 or larger?
Please contact me.

Brendan Whyte
University of Melbourne