From:
"Stuart L. Fraser" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 14:42:17 EDT
I'm not a subscriber to this list, so I hope this request doesn't
duplicate other discussions that have taken place on maps-l.  I've
been asked by my supervisor to look into Geographical Information
Systems (GIS), and whether our library ought to move towards making
such a system available.  I've located some useful material in
Library Lit., ERIC, etc., but also thought members of this group
could provide insight.

Old Dominion University Library does not have a special maps
collection or maps librarian, so any use of GIS would be in a
reference room context.  I would be interested in hearing from any
libraries already using GIS in a general reference area.  Are the
library's GIS efforts coordinated with other academic departments
using GIS?  What problems have been encountered?  What sort of
special training is required?  References to any particularly useful
books, articles, etc would also be appreciated.  Please respond
directly, as I am not a member of Maps-L.  Thanks in advance.

Stuart Frazer
Old Dominion University