From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:03:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:58:21 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: NIMA vector maps on disc <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

In general the date in the classification number for a map is not the date
of publication, but rather is "date of situation", that is, the date of
the information portrayed on the map or in the digital information.  Thus,
in the G schedule for maps and atlases, the date is part of the subject
classification, which is why it appears where it does, and not where dates
for 'regular books' appear, at the end.  For clarification, refer to
either Library of Congress "Map Cataloging Manual", or in the tables for
subjects in the LC G schedule after G9999.

The value of this is that another map of the same area would reflect
another situation from another time period.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---