From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:57:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Moving map cases
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:23:29 -0400
From: Stone, Howard <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

At Brown University, we placed about 20 sheets at a time in large
manila map folders and carefully hand-carried them (bending the
folders if necessary) to their new location. This worked fine for a
collection of about 1000 maps--it took about 50 trips made by a
library school intern, a student assistant, and myself.

About 20 maps were unbendable (plastic relief maps or maps mounted on
very thick cardboard), and about 60 were rolled wall maps. We
hand-carried these two or three at a time.

The map cases were moved professionally after they were empty.

Howard Stone
Map Cataloger, Brown University