Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 09:24:14 EDT
To:  Donna Koepp

Hello,

This information search concerns the manner in which maps of various sizes are
filed at other map libraries and a few other details too.

I work for McIntyre Library at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire and will
be moving and reorganizing a U.S. Depository map collection to the
main library this coming January.  Complete inventory and on-line computer
cataloging will take place after the maps are moved.  This is my opportunity to
try a differnet system for indexing, cataloging, or filing, if deemed
appropriate or necessary.

I worked with this same collection under the
University Geography Department until meager funding ceased.  Policy in the
Geography department was to file maps alphabetically within States and also to
interfile all different scales within the same drawers.

I am curious about successes and experiences other libraries have had.  Some if
my questions or inquiries include:

        Are your maps filed alphabetically, or are Sudoc numbers used, or are
        designated numbers from the grid system in each State catalog used?

        Have you linked your records onto a computer data base, and if so,
        how?

        Does your library interfile the 7 1/2' series with the 15' series
        and with the 1:100,000 series maps or do you file different scales
        in different drawers?

        Does your library fold 1:100,000 scale maps in half?

        How many maps are considered maximum for one stack in a drawer?

Any insight or tips you can offer will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mary Koepp Yarrington