From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:26:35 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: map collections in open stacks question
Date:   Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:41:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:   Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope, AGSL <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

John,

I have gone from a locked room with open access (University of Michigan)
to closed access (NYPL), to wide open access (drawers unlocked and maps
available all hours the building is open).

I would say "it depends on your collection".  In order for you to
determine if your collection should be open you must ask, are you a
library "of record", like NYPL.  Are you saving everything forever?  If
so, then an open collection is NOT the way to go.

Currently, I like
to think I am in a "working collection".  Our maps are here to be used not
preserved (under glass).

**ALL of our maps AND atlases check out (a rare
thing).
**All our maps have barcodes on them.
**All our maps go out on unrestricted interlibrary loan (another rare
thing) (our ILL person hates me because she sends out about 5 maps a
week).
**Our maps are used and abused--fortunately we have an in-house
preservation unit.
**ALL of our maps and atlases are cataloged (with the
exception of the topos).
**We do not let our patrons refile maps--we have big signs everywhere.

A few things about our map collection--we don't get many public patrons.
Most that we do get are geoscience professionals who know how to search
(because we have "educated" them).
Our students (while a bit lazy) are very self-sufficient.  In fact, like
most libraries, our reference stats have been falling for years.

Also, my office is in the middle of the collection.  I have big windows
and can see patrons when they are milling around.  I (or
some other staff person) am available for reference help 8-5, M-F.  I
trying to ask every person that lingers in the collection if they need
some help.

Regarding theft--yes, things do walk.  However, I have identified many "at
risk" items and moved them to my office (these don't circulate).  Other
things that may walk like topo cds, or hiking maps of the area are on
permanent reserve.  They check out just like everything else, but are kept
behind the circ desk.  Many years back, when Mary Larsgaard ran the
collection, we went from locked drawers to unlocked drawers.  She was also
worried about theft.  So much so, that in a report she worried that up to
10% of the collection was missing.  Upon doing the first inventory ever
in the 30+ year life of the map collection, she found
that less than 1% was missing.  Similarly, when we did an inventory of our
book/folded maps collection, of 12,000+ items, only 15 were AWOL.  I
assume these number compare with any book collection.

Yes, patrons do misfile things, but because our collection is used so
much, we catch most misfiled maps fairly quickly.

If our refiling stats are any indication, our collection is heavily used.
I have people browsing in the Map Room all the time.  I think an un-used
collection is a dead collection.  And a dead collection needs no staffing
or
funding.

In general, the Map Room gets very high marks from our students, faculty,
and public patrons precisely because it is an open collection.

All in all, I am for open collections provided it fits your library and
you can staff it.

I apologize for all the rambling.  Feel free to contact me directly
regarding this topic.

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Arthur Lakes Library