From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:59:47 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:07:44 -0400
From: David Lepse <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: metadata cataloging systems

Can anyone recommend a cataloging system for metadata records conforming
to CSDGM (Content Standards for Digital Geospatial Metadata) developed by
FGDC (Federal Geographic Data Committee)?

Here's roughly what I'm looking for:
1) software that provides an interface for writing metadata records.
2) software that provides an interface -- preferably web page based -- for
searching the database of compiled metadata records.
3) software that provides the means to organize, manage, and index the
metadata records.
4) software that will run on a Windows NT platform  -- although we'd
consider a UNIX platform.

I've briefly looked at Peter Schweitzer's list of metadata information and
tools (http://geology.usgs.gov/tools//metadata/) and Hugh Phillips's list of
metadata tools for geospatial data
(http://badger.state.wi.us/agencies/wlib/sco/metatool/mtools.htm)  Both of
these are useful resources, but I'm wondering whether any of you have any
specific experiences or suggestions.

I've just this minute subscribed to the list, so I hope this isn't
something that's already been discussed a thousand times.  If that's the
case, could someone please direct me to what they think is the best place
to start?  And for all catalogers and ex-catalogers, please accept my
apologies for the phrase "metadata cataloging."

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Dave

David Lepse
Reference and Instruction Librarian