From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:13:42 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: geographic code indexing
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello, colleagues.

I have a question for a group of you among the map catalogers who use the
LC Classification schedule G for maps and atlases.  Specifically, anyone
whose catalog has an index for the MARC 052, Geographic Classification.

I would welcome any information on how this index functions, what type of
index it is.  I can describe to my colleagues what this number represents,
and how it might be derived.  I can convey a sense of its potential value
for a searchable index of the catalog, as it can be more precise and
concise to convey a geographical area covered by a map, and can
distinguish between a general and a thematic map of the same major area.
But I am at a loss to give any of the technical information about how this
would actually be indexed.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA