Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:35:42 -0500
Hi All,

Occasionally I get emails asking me not to forward so many emails to the
list and requesting that I encourage people to reply off list when
certain topics aren't of interest to everyone.

Here are my thoughts on what I choose to forward to the list, what I
choose not to forward to the list and what I encourage all of you to
forward more of to the list...

*Given the wide distribution of members on the list and the varied
interests of those members (map librarians, US gov depository
librarians, cartographers, geographers, historians, map researchers, map
dealers, etc.) (and international, by the way) I think there will always
be topics that aren't of interest to everyone.
*A certain topic may not be of interest to you TODAY, but when the topic
comes up for you in the future - you will find the information in the
Maps-L archives and be so thankful for on-list replies.
*I would like to see more on-list replies for information sharing. From
the seemingly simple to the complex questions - the answers benefit all
of us trying to stay current as well as the new members to the list just
starting out (including students).
*When someone posts a list of duplicate maps to give away - you don't
need to reply to the list - reply to the sender.
*Sometimes I forward job announcements that seem obscure but if they
include an element of geography, geology or physical earth science
librarianship, GIS, map depository duties, etc. I forward those.
*Sometimes I get emails addressed to me, Angie, and I'm not always sure
if people want me to forward those to the list or not. Perhaps if you
address an email to me, let me know if you want me to share it or not.
*Inflammatory emails - I don't forward these.
*Spam - I don't forward these (or haven't yet)

So, pretty much that's it. Maps-L is a busy list and here are some
suggestions on how to "manage" all the emails:

*A way to reduce the number of emails coming into your in-box is to
change your subscription to digest format. I think with digest you get
one email a day with a TOC of all the emails sent that particular day
and then you can browse the topics of interest. Let me know if you want
me to help you change your subscription setting to digest. You can try
it for a while, see if you like it and then if you want me to change it
back - just let me know. You can change those settings yourself, too, if
you like. Go here : http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/maps-l.html

*Another way to manage your incoming emails is to set up a filter in
your software whereby all Maps-L emails are filtered into a particular
folder and then you can "get to them" at your convenience. I know
Netscape and Mozilla Thunderbird have nice filtering capabilities.

*And of course, don't forget the ever handy delete button. Don't think
an email looks of interest? Delete it. If you change your mind later,
you can always find the posting in the Maps-L archives.

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions relating to this
email (or anything else) feel free to email me.

Humbly yours servant in moderation,

Angie
Maps-L Moderator

Angie Cope, Senior Academic Librarian
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)