From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 08:08:53 -0500
Subject: Guidance needed for FDLP regional map library retention decisions
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:59:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>
CC: STEPHEN WOODS <[log in to unmask]>, LINDA MUSSER <[log in to unmask]>

To those of you at the Regional depository library level:

With a change of leadership for our map library and its collections here
at Penn State we are re-evaluating policies and procedures pertaining to
retention decisions for receipt of federal maps. We've pulled an
existing in-house document to evaluate, done some investigating at the
GPO website and looking at other possible guides or similar online, etc.
We believe we are following all appropriate GPO/FDLP requirements but
wish to feel more secure about that. However, based at least in part on
the following question from a staff member recently, we are seeking the
advice of the wise and wizened (or is that "wizzened"?) and experienced
map librarian or map curator who has already been down this path and
knows the ins and outs. That partial question was:

Here is a link to the FDLP on the superseded editions.  Previous Map
Librarians seem to have chosen to keep the superseded editions for the
topos s24, s63, s31 editions, but only keeping the current edition for
the Nautical and Aeronautical Charts.

http://www.fdlp.gov/collections/collection-maintenance/139-superseded-list-and-guidelines

My hunch is that the above scenario is "the norm", especially in terms
of nautical and aeronautical charts retention decisions; perhaps not so
much anymore for the 7-5-minute and other two topographic series. But,
that is why I'm on here asking for help, I personally have never been
responsible for running a map collection and put my trust in others here
on MAPS-L!

Please contact me directly, offline, at [log in to unmask] If warranted, I
will compile a summary of responses to share here on MAPS-L a bit later.
And THANK YOU in advance for your assistance!

Paige Andrew
Maps Cataloging Librarian
University Libraries
Penn State University