From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:57:25 -0600
Subject:        aerial photos of a glacier
Date:   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:24:45 -0600
From:   Coombs, James <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks everyone for your help!

Here's a summary of the responses:
------------------------------------
this website at Rocky Mount National Park might be of assistance:
http://www.glaciers.pdx.edu/Projects/LearnAboutGlaciers/ROMO/GlcResearch
.html

Doug Ernest
Colorado State University Libraries
-----------------------------------
This isn't aerial photos, but you might want to look at the Satellite
Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World. Fact sheet at:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3056/. At least 3 of them are digital (use
the USGS Publications Warehouse to find them). Sometimes I feel like the
walking talking card catalog to all things geology! Have a good day on
Election Day.

Linda Zellmer
-----------------------------------
I am not sure if these will help, but there is a contact for more
detailed photos:
http://www.brucemuseum.org/aboutus/press/Doubleexposure-GlaciersImageshe
et.pdf
. There may also be some info available here:
http://www.nps.gov/noca/naturescience/glacial-mass-balance8.htm .

      Best,    Joel Kovarsky
-----------------------------------
I would try University of Wyoming and ask about photos of the Wind River
Glacier.  I know there has been some repeat photography of that glacier
and studies detailing its retreat.  Also, Montana State University in
Bozeman might have some air photos of the glaciers in Glacier National
Park.  The park itself might have air photos that could be scanned and
sent to your patron.  The last place I would try is University of Alaska
SE in Juneau.  One of their geology professors, Cathy Connor has spent
some summers with the Juneau Icefield Research Program (in existence
since 1940) and might be able to direct you to some of the aerial
photography and long-term glacial retreat studies that have been done as
part of that program.

Sincerely,
Linda Marston
----------------------------------
Our library does not have any aerial photos as that is covered by the
GeoData Center on a different part of campus. Try their website:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/services/geodata

John Kawula
Government Documents and Maps Librarian
University of Alaska Fairbanks
----------------------------------
Your student might try this site through the National Snow and Ice Data
Center:  http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_photo/repeat_photography.html

They have an extensive collection of glacier photography, including
repeat photography of the same glaciers at various times.

Jovanka Ristic

Once again the Maps-L 'think tank' saves the day!
Jim

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Duane G Meyer Library