From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:12:12 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: off-site map collections
Date:   Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:16:29 -0400
From:   Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

John,

Due to our renovations, we had to move all our maps, except 7.5 minute
NC topo maps, offsite to our satellite shelving facility (SSF).  In so
doing, we now allow these moved maps to be borrowed for 30 days, and
we arranged with the SSF staff to allow patron browsing.

The move happened during April, so it's still early to tell how it's
going to work out.  So far, the only concern has been from the SSF
staff about having more people come in and having to answer questions
about the maps, but we don't think there will really be that much
demand.  On the positive side, we're taking this opportunity to keep
usage stats, which will partly help decide if the maps will get moved
back to the main library after the renovations.

Thanks,
Jeff Essic

Jeff Essic, Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services Dept.
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
(919) 515-5698