From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:54:29 EST
3 messages.----Johnnie

>Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 10:57:40 -0800
>From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cost for color maps printed on computer printer

The cost depends on several things.  The vendors of color printers have
frequently worked out this information on the basis of the percentage of
coverage of the surface of the paper.  For example, BW text typically
prints covering something like 15 to 30 percent of the page (high end if
some pictures or drawings, low end if only text).  The cost of that
around here in university environments tends to be around 10-12 cents
per page.

The cost for color seems to be around 10 to 15 times higher. Recently, I
got the information for Tektronix printers and an E-size drawing with
100 percent coverage was priced at $12.50. Figure that you can fit about
8 "regular" pages on an E-size page and you get around $1.50 per
letter-size page.

One UCLA organization charges $1.00 per page for Seiko Colorpoint
printer pages which use four-color thermal transfer sheets to print.
They do not have to recover the capital costs of their printer though,
only the operating costs, i.e., paper and transfer material.

I have a personal Canon BJC-210 that I use to print T-shirt transfers
and other color stuff.  If I'm starting with a new cartridge to do
transfers, a new cartridge will normally last me for about 20-22
transfers.  Unfortunately, there's usually a lot of one color left since
you only need all three colors for black.  For a newminted Ph.D.'s
recent job interview, we printed all the foils in color on the BJC-210
using overhead projector material and got 46 prints from one new color
cartridge.

In SoCal, cartridges for the BJC-210 are around $22 for black and around
$28 for color.  This works out to $1.25 for the ink costs related to
each T-shirt transfer and about $0.60 for the ink costs related to each
of the overhead projector foils.

HTH.

virginia
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Bellnet:  310.206.7588

At 05:15 PM 07-03-98 EST, you wrote:
>We have recently installed a GIS workstation in our library.  Could anyone
>give me a figure as to what to charge for printing an 8.5 x 11 color map on
>an inkjet printer?  I have heard that I might get only 15 color sheets per
>cartridge.  ks
>
>Kathy Spencer                           [log in to unmask]
>Geology Library                         Office: 701/777/2408
>University of North Dakota              Fax: 701/777/4449
>P.O. Box 8358
>Grand Forks, ND 58202-8358

Only 15 colour sheets per cartridge?  Without knowing which inkjet you plan
to use
I'd still hazard the guess that 15 is at least an order of magnitude low.
You could check
with the PC magazine website (http://www8.zdnet.com) for last autumn's printer
reviews.  Usually PC magazine lists the costs of printing a page(text and
graphic)
for every printer they review.

Stephen Baig

Oceanographer,
TPC/National Hurricane Center
Miami, FL

>From: William Penberthy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: GIS Printing
>Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 05:27:47 -0700

It depends what kind of printer you have and what kind of paper you use.
http://www.zdnet.com/products/content/grids/cprinter.html has different
reviews for printers, and some of the reviews actually work out a cost per
page for you.  Check to see if your printer is there.  I have never worked
an inkjet printer that got less than 50-60 pages per cartridge, unless it
was one of those little personal printers with one cartridge the size of
my thumb...  Don't forget to work the cost of replacement and maintenance
into the fee.

Bill Penberthy.......................Educational Research and Design
Geoinfosys...........................Market Research and Demographics
1587 Locust Street................Custom Cartography
Denver, Colorado 80220.........GIS Consulting
(303) 399-8517......................Digital Mapping Data