From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caplan,Ellen
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:42:38 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:08:42 -0400
From: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cataloging: Road maps
Sender: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>

I would like to pass the following along to you those of you who catalog
using OCLC.  This is a response Linda Gabel, a colleague of mine at OCLC,
prepared concerning the comments and questions on the free-floating
subdivision 'Road maps' that were made earlier this week. I hope that if any
of the information about LC is dated someone from LC will comment.

Ellen

Ellen R. Caplan
OCLC, Inc.
Product Management  & Implementation Division
6565 Frantz Rd.
Dublin OH  43017
800-848-5878 (voice)
614-718-7178 (fax)

"Free-floating subdivisions have just been loaded, so they were not
previously in the authority file to find per se.  What was probably meant
was that many subject headings had scope notes that said that the term or a
version of the term was also valid as a subdivision (check out "Maps", the
record for it as a topical subject heading has a 360 note that says it can
be used as a subdivision).  LC is now explicitly entering these subdivisions
("Maps" with the 185 tag), with guidance back to the appropriate section of
the SCM that says when it is appropriate to use them.

On the specific question "Road maps", LC is still in the process of creating
these subdivision records, and probably hasn't yet gotten this far.  Their
move to their new local system is taking a lot of resources away from
regular activity.  Keep watching, it will be loaded in the future.  It will
show up as a form subdivision (185 tag in the SAF).

There are several ways to find free-floating subdivisions.
LC has established pattern headings, that is, a few representative subject
headings with all valid subdivisions already assigned.  By looking at a
pattern heading, the user can then extrapolate that same combination to
other related topics.  To find the pattern headings in the authority file,
OCLC users can type "help pattern headings", and the OCLC help message will
list them.  Unfortunately, they don't have a pattern heading for places.

Now that LC is starting to create authority records for subdivisions, they
are being loaded into OCLC.  As of July 18, the user can limit a search to
just the sudivision records.  "cho af;sca sb [term]" will get the user into
the subdivision index.  Both form and topical subdivisions are now being
created (form:185, topical:180)."

Original messages: