From:
"Paul R. Larson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 13:27:20 EDT
On July 7, Alice Hudson wrote:

>     OK. I apologize for generating the digitizing discussion...let's
>     lighten up a bit, and find good stuff for beach blanket reading!
>
>     What is your fave murder mystery, detective novel, etc. with good use
>     of maps as a key element to the story?
>
>     GO TO IT GANG!
>
>     The Alienist mentions a large 19th century wall map of Manhattan
>     several times during the last half of the novel, but the author
>     doesn't say much more.

May not be mysteries per se, although some of them contain elements of a
good mystery, but try Louis L'Amour.  Some editions of his books contain
maps in the front.  These are very accurate.  He based his stories on
actual locations, even using real place names.  It is fun to read about
places with which you are familiar, and you constantly refer to the map
during the reading.  An understanding of geographical relationships really
adds to the story.