From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Weessies, Kathleen
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:33:54 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:16:20 -0400
From: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Freelance map production?
Sender: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>

Due to staff cuts I need to re-evaluate the services the Map Library offers, meaning turning down all requests for custom maps, no matter how simple.  I'm thinking about organizing a GIS/mapmaking referral service for the regular stream of non-GIS graduate students and faculty who need simple custom maps made to illustrate their dissertations, articles, books, and web sites.

Does anyone out there have experience with this?  I consider this to be similar to the list of local genealogy researchers handed out to people wanting to hire professional research.  But I would like to provide the pool of senior undergraduates and graduate students guidance on what to charge, how to estimate time for a job, and advice about whether to work 'under the table' or to officially put out a shingle.

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Michigan State University
100 Library W308