From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:33:52 -0600
Subject: RE: NGA (Formerly DMA,              NIMA) Nautical Charts for
regions 1-9 and misc.
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:05:23 +0000
From: Lee, Kent <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Dennis, List:

At East View we've done a lot of research on this issue as part of our
plans to provide just such a solution, especially in the aftermath of
NGA terminating public access (including FDLP distribution) about three
years ago.

In terms of basic nautical charts (there are a variety of other more
exotic NGA nautical publications, none of which pose digitization issues
from the foreign intellectual property point (IP) of view) there were
some 4200 NGA charts being distributed as of April 2010.  But of course
FDLP recipients might have thousands more, considering the multiple
editions for many charts and also formerly active charts which were
declared withdrawn before April 2010.

At most about 25 percent of these 4200 charts pose no problems as far as
we can tell in terms of anyone (libraries, vendors) offering a digital
archive solution.   We know exactly which charts these are, since we
have built a database showing the foreign charts used as key source
materials in the compilation of each NGA chart.  The 3000+ charts with
foreign chart materials present a significant IP issue, or rather
issues, for anyone wishing to digitize the NGA charts.  These charts
involve 60-plus non-US hydrographic agencies.  Each agency has its own
opinion, not surprisingly.  The largest single foreign chart contributor
is the British Admiralty, who has a very strong opinion on this matter
and regularly enforces it with a small army of lawyers.

The NGA nautical charts are thus an example of that very rare breed of
US Government publication which is not necessarily public domain by
virtue of being a US Government publication.  It represents a kind of
minefield for any comprehensive digitization program.

On a separate note, just over 1000 NGA nautical charts (mostly new
revised editions, but some completely new charts) have been published
since public access ceased.  Had that not happened, FDLP recipients
would have received all these charts.

Kent Lee

President and CEO
East View Geospatial, Inc.