From:
Keith Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 1994 00:08:03 EST

As some of you may know, I am currently working on the second
edition of my book, Analytical and Computer Cartography.
In Chapter 6, a new chapter entitled "Access to Spatial Data,"
 in a subsection on "Finding Spatial Data" I make the following
statement:
QUOTE
        The search for paper maps is often conducted in a library. Librarians
have been slow to adapt their tools and techniques to the archiving and sup-
ply of digital map data, but there are now signs that the map librarian com-
munity is rising to the challenge. Map librarians make use of computer
networks to share information and conduct searches, and are now beginning
to make census and other digital maps available in libraries. In addition,
commercial companies often sell cartographic data and will conduct search-
es. Landsat imagery, for example, from EOSAT, can be searched for and
browsed using an on-line data base.
UNQUOTE

Am I being fair to the map librarians? I know that MAPS-L reflects folks
on the cutting edge of Information Science, and don't want to hit too far
off the mainstream.

Thanks           Keith Clarke

----- End Included Message -----