From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:09:04 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Help with zoning maps
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Kate,

April Carlucci and Nancy Kandoian did an excellent job in pointing you to
some of the resources you need to look at to help resolve your question. I
have to concur with them that from what I am reading in your description
the amendments should be taken as meaning "edition" because it implies that
new geographic information has been added and/or previous information has
been updated since the adoption of the original zoning regulations
portrayed on the maps. As I read your description I take the "adoption
date" to not have anything to do with the maps' publication or production,
rather that this is when the agreed-upon local zoning ordinances and/or
regulations were officially adopted -- agreed upon -- by the local
government agency(ies) involved. Once that happened then maps were created
to visually show the boundaries of the zones that were accepted for their
each specific purpose, thus making that map show the information through an
"effective" date, sort of like saying that as of that date the zoning was
declared "live".  This date could be adopted through inferrence as a
publication date if there are no further dates found on the particular map.
But then, some or all of your maps have been amended with new/changed
information at a later time, making the "amendment" date the inferred
publication date. So, I also concur with April and Nancy that the best
course of action is to find the latest date on the map and use it as an
inferred publication date, therefore you will need to put that date in
square brackets in the 260 $c area of the bib. record. If you have one or
more maps that only have the adopted date on them then you are naturally
going to use that as the defacto publication date; if you have one or more
maps that include both an adopted date and an effective date, and the
effective date is the later of the two, then you will want to consider the
effective date the publication date.

I hope my comments help!

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew