From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:52:02 -0500
Subject: Viewing and printing maps
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:03:23 -0500
From: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
As many of you know, the Seattle Public Library will be opening a grand
new
central library at the end of this year.  On the 9th floor there will be
Map Room (albeit scaled down from the original plans), and it will
contain
a dedicated workstation for electronic mapping. My original request
included an oversized monitor and a large format printer, but these two
items are now being questioned (budget problems, of course).  The arena
of
viewing and printing electronic maps is one in which I am still
developing
a basic comfort level, so I am finding myself hard pressed to present a
succinct and well-thought out justification for these two pieces of
equipment.  Can anybody help me out????
Obviously I have been planning on learning by doing, but that hasn’t
happened yet.  What I really need is a personalized, several day long
inservice by a local expert, and that I haven’t yet arranged either!
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Mary Douglass
Map Librarian (along with other duties)
Seattle Public Library