From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:27:42 -0500
Subject: RE: coin operated lockers for  libraries
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:40:59 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

Maybe us Brits still, in general, are 'behind the times' and keep loose
coins (i.e. 'real money') in their pockets. From my personal experience
the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)'s centralized Collections'
Foyle Reading Room; the British Library; and the National Library of
Scotland (both its Main Library at George IV Bridge and the mile-apart
Map Library) all require a £1 coin inserted to release the locker key.
Coin is, naturally, returnable each time the visitor unlocks the locker.

One difference - upon which I advised when RGS-IBG's Curator of Maps and
involved in minor planning details for the FRR (opened in June 2004) -
is that the lockers are transparent. So that visitors did not leave
their belongings overnight, security issues, and all that . . .

Francis Herbert (ex-Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG, London, UK)