From:
Zip Kellogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1993 14:39:06 EDT
   Granted, this is not the sort of question that routinely appears on
maps-l, but I thought someone might have a plausible theory on this one...
Earlier this year I had the good fortune to be traveling in southern Chile
and noticed on several occasions when using my hand held compass, that
the southern end of the needle was nearly dragging on the base of the compass.
While there may be some simple explanation for this I'm at a loss. Can any
of you help me?
   Zip Kellogg, U. of Southern Maine Library, Portland