From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:48:58 -0500
Subject: Harvard Map Cataloging Project
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:11:24 -0500
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Dear Colleagues -

Alright, the April 1st "Tom-Foolery" is over. I appreciated many of your
suggestions and some willingness to trade for our atlas duplicates.

To be serious for just a moment - yes, we are beginning a project to
catalog our antiquarian maps and we will begin with the America's. We are
excited about discovering what's in our collection as much as anyone else.
Our cataloging reflects the various practices used since 1818 and, with the
assistance and publications from many of you, map cataloging now has many
more sources to research mapmakers, engravers, cataloging dates, cataloging
states, and so many other bits of information.

Sad for some, but our atlases will remain intact. As an aside, we have just
completed the rehousing (reboxing) of all of our vellum bound atlases.
Fortunately, we also have many cartobibliographies that more easily lead us
to the contents of many of these atlases so it will be our antiquarian
sheet map collection that will be our priority which will keep us busy for
several years to come.

Just wait and see ---------------------

David Cobb

David A. Cobb                                   Tel. 617.495.2417
Harvard Map Collection                          FAX  617.496.0440
Harvard College Library                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138                             HTTP://hcl.harvard.edu/maps