From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:10:20 -0500
Subject:        Re: Atlas recommendations]
Date:   Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:47:23 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Leigh,

I have used the "Ambassador edition" of the Hammond World Atlas in my
work as a maps cataloger for many years. It is getting dated in some
respects but it offers several good reference items needed to do
background work on each country. There is a very good gazetteer in it,
plus a glossary of abbreviations, a list of geographical terms, an
entire section on map projections done by Erwin Raisz, and some general
tables on city climates, etc. I've found it to be adequate for 90% of my
needs in map cataloging, and when it doesn't answer my questions I can
turn to either other well-known atlases (Times New World, National
Geographic), online sources, or added reference items such as Webster's
Geographical Dictionary or National Geographic's Desk Reference. I don't
think Hammond does a hardbound edition of the Ambassador atlas anymore
and I haven't priced them in several years but mine was a reasonable
cost for a hardbound atlas at the time.

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger