From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:40:56 -0500
Subject: RE: Call number Question for Local Maps
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:38:45 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Heidi,
You will probably see some other responses, as well. First, you have
discovered the marvelous 'faceting' that is possible using the G
classification schedule for maps.  I will take the questions in order.

1.  I have a map of River Falls, made by J. J. Stoner from 1880, so the
call number would be:  G4124.R8 1880 .S7  Right?

Yes, that would be right.  Think of the date here as part of the
'subject classification, unlike the date as it appears in call numbers
for most books.  The date is the 'date of the situation'.  That is, what
date is shown on the map?  So the classification is both for place and time.

Something to keep in mind if you have a reproduction or facsimile of
such a map, published in more recent time, let's say, 1995, that date
would also appear, like this:
G4124.R8 1880 .S7 1995.  This way, you could have the reproduction
placed in the file near to the map it reproduces.

Is the second cutter always one letter and one number instead of 2
numbers or does it depend on what your library wants to do?
It depends on what your library wants to do, it is a filing element
only.  Libraries using LC Classification might in different situations
use another string of characters for the same authority.

2.  Then, my strange question is - do you know why there is a second
period in front of the cutter for the authority responsible for the map?
Many times when you have a second cutter, there isn't a period - I can
only believe that you use the period because of the placement of the year.
This is not a big deal - just a curiosity for me. I've been racking my
brain trying to come up with the rule for this but cannot.

You have the element of a date between the two cutter numbers.  The
period just distinguishes one element with a letter from another element
of the class number.  There may be more involved with this, that someone
else can answer more completely.

3.  Also, the tables state that you can "Apply Table G1a for subject"
when you are using the number for cities and town, etc. A-Z. Have you
ever seen this, I have only seen examples of numbers that apply the
G4124 table and then add the cutter for authority responsible for the
map. I have only see the G1a table applied to G4121 numbers.

Again, keep the cutter for responsibility (or title if no authority
appears in a 1** field) separate in your mind from the subject
classification of the map.  Everything that is in subfield $a of the
call number field is subject related, covering what the map is showing
(place, theme, date).  The authority number is in subfield $b, and is
not part of the subject classification.  And yes, it is not unusual to
have thematic or 'by subject' cutters used in conjunction with class
numbers.  They can appear in Wisconsin class numbers 4122 through 4124.
  In the group you are cataloging you may find plat maps, showing
property ownership, for a city or county.  This appears in the G1a table
as .G46 for "Cadastral maps. Land ownership. Real property."
So if the map you used as an example happened to be a plat map of River
Falls, it would look like this:  G4124.R8G46 1880 .S7

Here, there is no period between the 'R8' and the 'G46' because they are
part of the same element of the class number.  That is, a map of River
Falls, Wisconsin, showing property ownership, in 1880. It was produced
the entity 'Stoner' that your library classes as '.S7'

You can do the same for regions, G4122, and for counties or other civil
divisions, G4123, as well.  You take the subject number from the G1a
table and add it onto the cutter class for the place, region, civil
division or city or town.

In practice what this does is to put all maps showing a particular place
together, first by place generally by date, and then by theme (if
applicable) by date, and then other places of the same level.  And of
course, all maps showing any part of Wisconsin are together after all
maps showing Michigan (G4110-G4114) and before all maps of Minnesota
(G4140-G4144).

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA