From:
"R. Todd Minsk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:04:16 EDT

   : Thu, 22 Jun 1995 11:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
    : Roger Wheate <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Solstice

I assume then, that these streets are really southeast-northwest. (Out
here in the west, where streets are truly east-west, this phenomenon
occurs on the equinoxes, not the solstices.) Can you enlighten us as to
whether this design in Manhattan was deliberate and the history behind it?
--- end of quoted material ---

Because the avenue grid is mostly parallel to the rivers, with streets
intersecting at 90 degrees, and Manhattan is not directly north-south.  I'm
guessing that on the winter solstice, the sunrise matches the street grid, too.

Todd Minsk, ferro-bibliographer