From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1993 14:18:34 EDT
Referring to Linda's last message (attached below) I've actually written a
local use program that incorporates this.  The language I used is called MC2,
but it would be VERY easy in C.  All one has to do is parse the 034 and
include the proper calls for the degree, prime and double prime characters.
In fact, once one understands the coding of the 086 for Gov. Doc maps, you
can create part of the SuDoc number from the 034.  Unfortunately, the program
that I did can't be interactive with OCLC, but it is interactive with our
NOTIS system.

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT  84112

   Hello,
     An added comment to my recent comments.  It seems to me that in
   this day and age of smart computer programmers, someone could come up
   with a program that would create an 034 from the information in a 255
   field, or vice versa.  Thus, the information would only have to be
   entered once.  How do we suggest this type of thing to RLIN/OCLC?
   Linda Zellmer