From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1993 22:38:35 EDT
>     Our Director is envisioning the map library of the future as a
>   series of data sets, rather than cases of paper.  In that case, the
>   map librarian of the future will have to be able to access and
>   manipulate the data sets.  How far do you think we will have to go?
>   Does anyone now generate a specific type of map on request?  Should
>   this be left to the GIS wizards?  Should map librarians have a role
>   in generating specialized maps, or creating user-friendly interfaces
>   that allow patrons to generate specialized maps on their own?
>   Finally, how does this impact the training we should be getting in
>   Library School?
>     I realize this is a big can of worms that maybe nobody wants to
>   think about.  But I would be interested in seeing what others are
>   thinking.
>   Linda Zellmer  [log in to unmask]

     Read it and weep.  Why are librarian jobs disappearing from libraries?
Why are computer people taking over the domain which used to be that of
librarians, the domain of information access?  Because the need exists and
librarians are too busy asking if they should do their traditional tasks in a
non-traditional medium.  Librarians are slowly and surely losing their domain
to those who are willing to do that which librarians are unwilling to do.
     At a conference of the American Society for Information Science held a
year ago in Alburqueque, the information scientists BEGGED the librarians to
get involved in user interface design. "You know what people need, how they
look at things".  They URGED librarians to define the standards for indexes,
for truncation styles, for new services, new patterns.  They see that
libraries can be more than books plunked as is on machines and they are
developing those technologies.  They want librarians to help develop the
navigation tools for the emerging technologies.  BUT WHERE ARE THE
LIBRARIANS?  They are busy asking if they should be asked to do this.

     YES, YOU SHOULD DO THIS AND LEARN THIS IF YOU WANT TO BE A MAP
LIBRARIAN.  Pardon me for shouting.  Computers and electronic access will
have an impact as yet unforseeable by those of us in the library business.
It will, I predict, far exceed the impact of the Gutenberg Press on every
aspect of human life.  The domain of the librarians is the domain of the
universe of knowledge.  And GIS is part of that universe.

     Linda, you are to be congratulated on learning GIS, on building that
skill.  But your question, in light of your Director's view of map futures
seems twofold.  1) What about historical maps which are not available
electronically?  and 2) How do you go about getting the Director's support to
get the electronic media in the library that you need to properly serve your
patrons?  Asking if you should be providing the service (i.e. should map
librarians provide the service) seems a self-answering question.

     Flame on.

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah