Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:30:29 -0600
Subject:        RE: Atlas Maior of 1665, and derivatives/sub-sets?
Date:   Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:39:28 -0000
From:   Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Chieko,

The Taschen "Atlas Maior of 1665" contains only a selection of maps from the original 12-volume Blaeu Atlas, whereas the subset volumes contain complete sets of facsimile maps from the original volumes. The original Blaeu Atlas contained about 600 maps, whereas the Taschen "Atlas Maior of 1665" has about 330. At the country level (and focusing on Scotland!), the main "Atlas Maior of 1665" volume reproduces just 16 of the 49 maps of Scotland, whilst the "Anglia, Scotia & Hibernia" (Atlas Maior series) volume reproduces all 49 maps. So whilst there is an overlap, the subset series volumes contain many additional maps, and collectively provide a more complete facsimile of the original Blaeu Atlas Maior.

For more info., there is quite a good review of the Taschen "Atlas Maior of 1665" in The Cartographic Journal 43(3), Dec. 2006, as well as a comparison of the Taschen "Anglia, Scotia & Hibernia" volume and (yet) another facsimile of the "Blaeu Atlas of Scotland" in the current issue of our NLS Newsletter, "Cairt" - online at http://www.nls.uk/collections/maps/subjectinfo/cairt.html

Hope this is helpful.

All good wishes,

Chris Fleet
Deputy Map Curator