From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:22:43 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:44:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: digital topo products (fwd)

This is an excellent opportunity to offer something out of either
ignorance or innocence.

If someone wants mapping for a hike, would not a small set of topographic
quadrangles, at $4.00 per sheet do the trick more quickly and easily?
Here's where this question comes from.

1. a map to use for hiking will need to be a map one can carry.
2. however one can customize a map from a digital source, it is necessary
to print it out to use it in the field.
3. to print out a map from a digital source requires not just your average
laser printer (if that's what the patron has), but one that can handle the
lines in sufficiently fine detail to be accurate and to handle the various
colors for the meanings they convey.  In black and white printing a stream
can appear awfully like a road, and that's about as basic as map
interpretation gets!  sometimes in black and white printing a (blue)
stream won't show up at all, and you can wind up following what you
thought was a good trail but with wet feet!
4. assuming the patron has access to a printer of high enough quality and
standard to do the job, he will need access to paper that is large enough
and strong enough to hold up to a hiking trip with a scout troop.
5. to buy that equipment and the supplies (large size durable and
permanent paper, color toner or color plotting inks) and equipment
(printer or plotter to handle the right size of paper) as well as the
CD-ROM set, however reasonably priced, to become his own map print shop,
requires quite a capital outlay in cash or credit.

I can think of a better deal...

6. the Geological Survey has that capability and prints maps in color and
sells them at $4.00 per sheet.  They are available from a number of local
suppliers and can be ordered from USGS itself or from some other vendors.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA