From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:51:32 -0500
Subject:        University of Florida's New Map Librarian
Date:   Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:15:43 -0400
From:   Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

As you know, Dr. HelenJane Armstrong, previous Head of the Map and
Imagery Library, retired in December after 32 years of outstanding and
dedicated service.  Dr. Armstrong was granted University Librarian
Emeritus status and she continues to provide us with her good cheer
through occasional visits.  Dr. Armstrong's retirement left us with the
challenging task of finding a similarly spirited and dedicated individual.

While we had several well qualified applicants, I am pleased to announce
we have chosen Carol McAuliffe to continue University of Florida
traditions as Head of the Map and Imagery Library.  Ms. McAuliffe, who
graduated with honors from the University of Florida, earned her
Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation with minors in
Zoology and Geography.  Her course work includes a background in
Geographic Information Systems, statistics, and physical geography.  In
2003 she went on to earn her Master of Science in Library and
Information Studies from Florida State University.  Ms. McAuliffe has
been working in the University of Florida libraries since 1997 and she
has worked in our Map and Imagery Library for the past 5 years.  As part
of her daily Map Library duties she has worked closely with Dr.
Armstrong and the Science Unit of our Cataloging Department to
coordinate the cataloging of the Map Library's materials.  Ms.
McAuliffe also has a strong public services background and is dedicated
to outreach in order to meet our user's needs.  She will be a valuable
member of the Documents Department and our new Spatial Information
Services Unit.  She looks forward to meeting you at various conferences
and working with you on future projects.

I invite you to take this opportunity to welcome Carol to the mapping
community and to offer your support as she embarks upon a long and
challenging career in the field of map librarianship and spatial
information.  Carol is a member of the Maps-L list and can also be
reached directly at:

Carol McAuliffe
George A. Smathers Libraries
Map and Imagery Library