Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:19:47 -0500
Subject:        Post Oct 2004 Flood Map Replacements Requested
Date:   Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:29:58 -1000
From:   G. Salim Mohammed <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Map Community,

We have been informed that funding to replace the maps that we lost
during the October 2004 flood *will* end *June 2008.*  So we are
urgently trying to replace all the maps that we lost either with:

a) The same exact map (in the event that a duplicate is available) OR
b) A digital copy of the same exact map OR
c) A print of a scan of the map.

We have replaced many maps, thanks to the enormous response from the map
community.  We are however, far from done and request your help.  I have
XX spreadsheets as a link on our website.  Each spreadsheet is
generally from one source, or in some cases, from a region of the
world.  These aren't MARC records--they are more a quick-n-dirty list
with some basic but critical information, like Region, Call Number (if
we have it), Year, Author, Title and Scale (if available).  Each of
these spreadsheets are available at:

http://library.manoa.hawaii.edu/departments/maps/needs/needs.html

We are fully funded to pay for the replacement, including postage.
Because it is unlikely that there are very many spare maps that could
get shipped to us, we have the funds to pay for a scan.  Also, if you
have a significant number of maps in one location and do not have the
personnel or the time to scan it, we are prepared to make a trip to help
retrieve and/or scan these maps within reasonable limits.

Again the web page for these lists, in excel format is available at:

http://library.manoa.hawaii.edu/departments/maps/needs/needs.html

We understand that this an unusual request, at least in magnitude, but
the circumstances are unusual as well.

Please e-mail me--I will be away for a week, but will respond after I
return.

Best Wishes and thank you very much!

G. Salim Mohammed, Ross Togashi & Mabel Suzuki
University of Hawai'i at Manoa Library

--

G. Salim Mohammed, Maps/GIS Librarian
University of Hawai'i at Manoa Library

[log in to unmask] | 808-956-0833
"Live simply so others can simply live." -Gandhi.