From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:28:16 -0500
Subject:        Designing a GIS/Maps Collection from Scratch
Date:   Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:15:56 -0700
From:   Diaz, Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps-L (E-mail) <[log in to unmask]>

As  you may know, The Evergreen State College relinquished Federal
documents depository status in April 2010.  However, one of the few
things we will be retaining is the maps collection.  My focus will now
turn to GIS/Maps.

At the moment, I am auditing a GIS class so I can learn how to use the
GIS software.  At the moment, we only have one GIS workstation.  There
are GIS workstations at an advance science lab on campus but their
available hours are short and there is GIS software in the computer
center but no one on staff knows how to use the software.  The Library
is open more hours and there seems to be an opportunity to help patrons
with their GIS/Maps needs.

Currently, our maps collection include topographic maps for the
northwest states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and
California.  We will also retain Puget Sound area nautical charts,
National Park Service information for Washington and Oregon, Forest
Service information on Washington and Oregon, highway maps of the 50
states, bike maps, some atlases, wall maps from Dennoyer-Geppert,
Klett-Perthes and other publishers, National Geographic maps, etc.

My library dean wants me to visit other colleges and universities within
Washington State to see how they are organized and what kind of services
they provide.  However, I do want to expand my body of knowledge further
by asking you:

1.  What kind of GIS/Maps services do you provide for library patrons?

2.  What kind of equipment do you have?  How many GIS workstations do
you have?

3.  What is your enrollment?  How many people use your facility?  What
departments/patrons do you serve?

4.  If you were to create a GIS/Maps collection from scratch today
(knowing what you know now),
      how would you do it?  What would be included?  What shouldn't be
included?

Thanks in advance for your kind advice as this will help me make the
right choices for us.

        ,-~~-.___.
       / |  '     \ "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of
      (  )         0 the few or the one."
       \_/-, ,----'
          ====           // Mr. Spock
         /  \-'~;    /~~~(O) Star Trek:  The Wrath of Khan
        /  __/~|   /       |

Carlos A. Diaz
Daniel J. Evans Library
The Evergreen State College