From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:13:53 -0400
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Markings on Aerial Photos: Keep or erase?]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:46:14 +1000
From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

        Dear Andrew
        At the National Library of Australia we have around 800,000 aerial
photos in our collection.  Occasionally we receive ones that have been
marked up - usually by draughtsman in the course of preparing for the
Australian topographic series.  If they are the only prints available
then
we take them in but do not attempt to remove the marks.  I am currently
working through a collection that has come from one of the local
universities so many of the photos are full of student annotations.  If
there are several copies for an area then I am selecting the cleanest
copy.
I have some question about the "preservation of historical markings" as
such
application is very individual and subjective and if I was wanting to
use
aerial photos, which I occasionally do for private research, I would
prefer
to work with a clean copy.
        Yours sincerely
        Maura O'Connor