From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:22:39 -0500
Subject:        RE: [MapHist] Skeleton Maps
Date:   Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:19:19 +0100
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>

OK, OK, I surrender!

Would someone like to start collecting all these variants for a paper
(research objective for a cartography/GIS student?). Then Joachim has
more material for an expanded 3rd edition of the work (he seemed in good
health, and too relaxed, when we met in Gotha in May)?

Identifying differently-described variants of the same or similar
idea/concept is a worthwhile pursuit - across languages, across
geographical boundaries, across time.  Personally, I'm quietly (so don't
tell anyone) slowly recording the use of the term 'panorama' in French
commercial publications of the 1820s when what is depicted is a normal
planographic town plan. Admittedly, some tend to be rather skeleton-like
. . .

Francis Herbert