From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:54:23 -0400
Subject: David Woodward
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:12:12 -0500
From: Donna G. Genzmer <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:54:38 +0200
From: "by way of List-owner MapHist <[log in to unmask]>"

Submission from ["Judith A. Leimer" <[log in to unmask]>]

I am deeply saddened to report the death of David Woodward, co-founder
of the History of Cartography series and Arthur H. Robinson Professor
Emeritus of Geography at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. David died
of cancer Wednesday night at his home in Madison, Wisconsin. His passing
was peaceful and he was surrounded by his family.

In spite of his many accomplishments, David was an unassuming man. His
family members have assured me that the prayers, kind thoughts, and
personal tributes that friends and colleagues sent this summer touched
and sustained him at the end. We will all miss him greatly.

David made it clear that he wanted the History of Cartography to be
completed. All our energies are devoted to that goal.

A memorial celebration of David's life and work will be held in Madison
in six to eight weeks' time. Details will be posted to MapHist as soon
as they are finalized.

Condolences may be sent to Rosalind Woodward and family, 1443 Mound
Street, Madison, WI 53711, USA.

Jude Leimer
Managing Editor, History of Cartography Project