Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:43:18 -0500
Subject:        Re: RFID tags on maps
Date:   Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:44:41 -0700
From:   Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]>

Hi April,

Most of our antiquarian maps are in Special Collections rather than here at
Branner.  Given that, we do have about 20 drawers of maps we keep
locked.  I can only send about 30-50 maps per year to conservation for
encapsulation.  The ideal situation is to get the map encapsulated in mylar
and then add a barcode and the call number to mylar.  All of the older maps
have call numbers written on them (many times in ink rather than pencil)
and many have property stamps in ink.  We now only use pencil for the call
numbers on any map we acquire.  Also, if I have to barcode one of the older
maps, I will do my best to put it on the back in a place that will not
damage the printing inside the neat line.  I don't like putting barcodes on
antiquarian maps, but sometimes have little choice.

My long-term goal is to get an encapsulation machine here at Branner.  I
think that's do-able.  The question is who would pay for the mylar - my
library or conservation?  If we could do that, we could get a lot more
things preserved each year.

RFID has been discussed here off and on with each discussion tabled due to
the high cost of purchasing the tags.

Hope this helps,

Julie

At 01:24 PM 7/30/2007, Maps-L wrote:
> [...]

Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Head Librarian; GIS & Map Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
397 Panama Mall, M/C 2211
Stanford University
Stanford, CA  94305
Phone:  650-725-1102