From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:43:22 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:22:01 -0600
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Compass rose question

I asked a question about compass rose origins here a long while
ago, as a summary I put together a little piece on the topic (at
http://www.gisnet.com/gis/notebook/comprose.html). But now I get
a steady stream of questions myself about the subject. Most I can
answer, but this one stumped me. So I've come back to the well of
map history knowledge and hope that someone here knows the answer
to this question sent to me (I ask not just for him, but I'm
interested myself...)

> Is there any reason why a compass rose would show East
> to the Right and West to the Left when North is to the Top.
> I have come across a large Compass in a Wooden box 30cm x30cm
> and do not understand why East & West are reversed.

Does this ring any bells for anyone here?

TIA,
- Bill Thoen