From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:38:09 -0500
Subject:        Re: Upside down maps]
Date:   Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:29:38 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Angie,

Ken touched on the one part of the description in the record where this
type of map is most clearly brought out--orientation. Some kind of note
indicating that north is at the bottom of the map in these upside-down
maps should be put in the record, generally worded something like
"Oriented with north to the bottom". I don't know of a subject heading
that has been established for this type/genre of map, though if there is
one for upside down books then a precedent is there and one similar to
this for maps should be established! It would be really helpful to our
patrons of course. I looked at records for four of these maps in our
collection this morning and the only subject access is "World maps", and
in the case of one that also specifies a particular projection used the
subject heading "Map projection" was also given.

Paige