From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:27:24 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:14:50 -0500
From: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SLA-San Antonio
Sender: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>

I attended the Winter Meeting of the Special Libraries Association in Savannah,
 Georgia last month.  During the meeting I had the opportunity to sit in on one
 of the final planning sessions for the SLA Annual Conference in San Antonio,
 June 9 - 14, 2001.  Geography and Map Division program planner Anita Oser,
 Western Carolina University, [log in to unmask], presented her preliminary program
 and plans for the celebration of the Division's 60th Anniversary.  There are
 several surprizes and you will just have to attend to find out what they are!
  I will share some of the highlights below:

Saturday, June 9

Evening bus tour of San Antonio

Sunday, June 10

Various committee meetings and G&M Board meeting.

Late afternoon "Carnaval de San Antonio," sponsored by Factiva,
 Dow Jones, and Reuters.  Food and Entertainment will celebrate
 a first look at the exhibits.

Evening G&M Division Open House

Monday, June 11

Morning session on the acquisition of cartographic materials by major vendors.

Afternoon session on maps and more on the web.

Annual business meeting of the G&M Division.

Tuesday, June 12

Morning session on GIS and water resource management.

Noon talk and slide show on the 2000 IFLA Conference in Jerusalem,
 with the addition of associated tours of Jordan and Egypt.

Afternoon session on GIS in special libraries.

Incoming G&M Board Meeting

Wednesday, June 13

SLA Annual Business Meeting

G&M Division 60th Anniversary Luncheon, featuring a talk by Mary Murphy
 on the history of the Division.

Afternoon G&M Division Contributed Papers Session.

Government Mapping update from several Federal Government agencies.

Thursday, June 14

Field trip through the Texas Hill Country to San Marcos and Southwest
 Texas State University.  The Geography Department at the University
 will host a visit with tours and talks by members of their faculty.
  Lunch and an ecotour of endangered species on a glass-bottom boat,
 will be at Aquarena Springs.

Now is the time to renew or join SLA.  Memberships are just $125.00
 and your renewal will be in the month you join every year.  You will
 receive up to date information on the conference and a discount on the
 registration fee.  You will even get a $50.00 discount as an SLA member
 on the IFLA - Boston meeting in August 2001.

Plan to attend the San Antonio meeting and experience the unique food
and culture of this Southwest treasure.  You will recall that our 50th
 Anniversary was also held here.  Who can forget the moderator of Maps-L
 and his globe fringed sombrero?  There will be many opportunities to shop,
 eat, and network with your colleagues during this landmark conference.
  Visit the SLA website at sla.org for further information.

Vanette Schwartz, Illinois State University, [log in to unmask], is well
underway with plans for the 93rd SLA Annual Conference in Los Angeles.
Please contact her with any ideas, paper presentation offers, or further
information on that meeting.  John Anderson, Louisiana State University,
[log in to unmask], chair of the Geography and Map Division, SLA, would like
to receive questions about opportunities to serve on committees and ideas
for future conferences.  The next opening is for a program planner for the
2003 meeting in New York City.  Meetings after that will be held in
 Nashville (2004), Toronto (2005), Baltimore (2006), Miami Beach (2007),
San Diego (2008), and the SLA  100th Anniversary meeting in Washington,
DC (2009).

I hope to see you all at these meetings.  If our profession is stay active
and grow, we need to support and attend our annual conferences.

David C. McQuillan, Chair
SLA G&M Membership and Public Relations

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian