From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:22:14 -0600
Subject:        Re: raised relief maps
Date:   Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:14:40 -0600
From:   Youngblood, Dawn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Our University photographer had great fun photographing raised relief
maps from our collection up close...
http://www.smu.edu/newsinfo/stories/foscue-maps-31dec2007.asp

Also, in case it is of use to anyone, here is some of my label text from
a recent exhibit:

THREE DIMENSIONAL MAPS (1950) Visualizing a three-dimensional landscape
from a two-dimensional map can be difficult. Before World War II, 3-D
models were painstakingly hand crafted using painted wood or plaster.
Such models were heavy and bulky; not the kind of thing you want to
carry around in a war. Improved rubber terrain models were prepared for
the invasion on D-Day. Still, these models were hand-painted and took a
great deal of time to produce. After the war, a lithographic process was
developed using the same color plates from which paper maps are printed.
The plastic sheets are molded with heat (250 degrees for about 10
seconds) followed by application of vacuum pressure which conforms the
hot plastic to the exact shape of the mold. Thus, a 3-D model is created
within two minutes instead of days. The Edwin J. Foscue Map Library has
some of the earliest commercially produced pieces, such as those on
display here.

Dawn Youngblood
Dr. Dawn Youngblood
Curator, Edwin J. Foscue Map Library