Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:22:18 -0600
Subject: RE:      [MAPS-L] Townships as "non-local" entities
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:22:22 -0500
From: Overberg, Paul <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

MI townships are different from PA townships. In PA, they are fully
functioning local governments, just like boroughs and cities.

http://www.psats.org/about_townships.html

The real State College, Pa., is a borough and does not overlap adjoining
townships:
http://www.statecollegepa.us/

http://ftp2.census.gov/plmap/pl_trt/st42_Pennsylvania/c42027_Centre/CT42
027_000.pdf

There is a locally known but unofficial area called "State College" that
includes the borough and part of adjoining Ferguson Township. Lemont is
a similar, unofficial area.

The strong local government system is characteristic of 12 states from
New England to NJ. to Wisc. In NJ, which I know best, townships are the
"mother" governments from which all others were formed. Many were
chartered by George II or III.

MI is one of another group of states -- many formed by the Northwest
Ordinance -- where townships may have very limited powers.

The Census Bureau calls all of these things "minor civil divisions:"

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/glossry2.pdf, p. 14

Paul Overberg
USA TODAY