From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:29:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [geonet] Access to Washington pubs
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:29:05 -0400
From: Kay Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: "CONNIE MANSON" <[log in to unmask]>,
<[log in to unmask]>,<[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Interesting you should mention claim notices.  There are some publishers
who will not set up standing orders for series.  We set up "tickler"
reports for these in our acquisitions system.  Essentially, there's a
number (we use a date) in the record that we use to print off monthly
reports of all "tickler" series so that we can order the current issues
from the catalog.

So, folks may want to set up their own "tickler" file to remind them to
check the Washington state survey website.  If you've got calendar
software, you can probably set up reminders.  Or, if you've got an
acquisitions/serials dept., you may want to ask them to set up
tickler/reminder files to check on series that do not come on standing
order.

-- Kay

At 08:42 AM 7/31/2003 -0700, CONNIE MANSON wrote:
>Folks,
>
>The Washington state survey is in dire straits and is sorta imploding.
>Management has decided to discontinue hard copy of reports and is going to web
>access only. However, since all the folks who managed/cared about distributing
>copies to scholarly institutions will be gone, I suspect that function will
>cease (and corporate memory will vanish).
>
>So, if you need the reports and maps, I regret to say you'll have to go
>looking
>for them. To do that, you can  check the website
>(http://www.dnr.wa.gov/geology/pubs/pubs_ol.htm) periodically.
>
>Hmm... You know how serials programs kick out a claim notice for irregular
>serials? Maybe that could be programmed to periodically kick out a reminder to
>check the website for new stuff.  Just a thought...
>
>Connie
>

>Connie J. Manson
>Senior Librarian
>Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources
>P.O. Box 47007
>1111 Washington S.E., Room 173
>Olympia, WA 98504-7007
>ph: 360/902-1472; fax: 360/902-1785

Kay G. Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Serials Coordinator and Geology Librarian
University of Tennessee
327 Hodges Library
Knoxville, TN 37996-1000
865-974-6913