From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:39:53 -0400
Subject: RE: Creative ideas for superceded map disposal]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:54:53 -0400
From: "Mark A. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum'"

------------------

We give away most of our superseded USGS 1:24,000 topographic maps and
nautical and aeronautical charts to a local non-profit store called The
Scrap Exchange.  They sell mostly left-over industrial scraps (e.g.,
stuff left over from manufacturing processes) to be used for craft or
decorating projects or other adaptive reuse. The stuff is popular for
birthday parties and with school teachers.
http://www.scrapexchange.org/  When we have a big pile of maps, I give
them a call and they come by and pick them up.

There is a local band called something like The Topographers, and I
heard they bought a bunch of our old 1:24K topos at the Scrap Exchange
to wallpaper the stage area as a backdrop for a performance.

We also let library staff pick though the discards.  For instance, one
person who teaches bookbinding classes uses paper from discarded topos
as part of her projects.  And, if any patron happens to ask, I'll let
them look through the discards. But, we don't have a public giveaway
box, partly because we were worried about the maps getting mixed back
into our collection or people confusing stacks of maps waiting to be
refiled with the giveaway bin! (we have an open stacks collection).

--Mark
Mark Thomas / [log in to unmask] / 919-660-5853, fax:919-684-2855
Economics, Geology, Geography Bibliographer
Map and GIS Librarian / Public Documents and Maps Department
025 Perkins Library / Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0177