From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:59:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Use of hachures fordescribing relief on map]
Date: 04 Jun 2004 15:19:52 EDT
From: [log in to unmask] (Map Room)

------------------
--- You wrote:
I'm cataloging pre-1900 maps from our Special Collections Dept. at the
University of South Florida.  A good proportion of these maps naturally
feature Florida as the main point of interest.  In looking on OCLC, I've
seen some records for Florida maps that say "relief shown by hachures."
  I thought hachures were used to depict mountainous terrain.  We don't
have mountains in Florida, of course. (Our highest point is under 350
feet!)  So I'm wondering if hachures can be used to describe the symbols
designating swamp or marsh land, such as the Everglades.  If hachures is
being used incorrectly here, what would be the term to describe the
symbols used on maps to depict the Everglades, for instance?

Brian Falato

--- end of quote ---

Hello--Hachures were (and once in a while, still are) used to depict any
type elevational change--including mountains but also hills, ridges,
bluffs, etc.  I know that there is some relatively hilly terrain in the
interior of the panhandle.

Also, horizonal hachures were often employed to designate swampy country
such as the Everglades.

I just dug out an old map of Florida that we have here at Dartmouth
entitled "Map of the Florida Territory from its Northern Boundary to
Lat. 27'30" N"  which was "drawn and compiled by W. H. Swift" and is
dated 1829.  Anyway,  'regular' hachures were used to show hills and
relative uplands and the horizontal type was used to represent swamps.

I hope this helps.

Evans Map Room
Baker/Berry Library
603-646-2579