From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:25:51 -0600
Subject:        Ephemeral Maps From The Chronicling America Newspaper Collection
Date:   Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:23:05 -0500
From:   Nikolas R. Schiller <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I would like to share with you some of the maps that I've recently found
that were published in the newspapers of the District of Columbia
between 1887 and 1909.  The Chronicling America newspaper collection, a
joint project of the Library of Congress and the Nation Endowment For
The Humanities, has over a million scanned pages of newsprint and is a
treasure trove of cartographic ephemera from 1880-1922 (soon to be
1860-1922).  After literally viewing over 2010 pages (seriously) of
search results, I have produced two 17" x 11" wall calendars that
feature 12 of my favorite maps that I've found.  I've also placed
scaled-down versions of these unique maps on my website and included the
domain maps for your own research, exploration, and enjoyment.

List of Maps:
==//==
Plans Showing The Proposed Washington Railway [...now Union Station]
The Washington Times, October 4, 1903

International Travel Of The Secretary of War
The Washington Times Magazine, May 12, 1907

Route Of President Taft's Inaugural Parade
The Washington Times, March 2, 1909

Map Of The Anacostia River In The District Of Columbia, Showing The Channel
To Be Straightened And Flats To Be Reclaimed
The Washington Times, March 2, 1909

Washington's Problem In Diagram And Picture
The Washington Times, April 12, 1896

Map Of Northwest Washington And West Washington, Including Burleith Addition
The Washington Critic, May 28, 1887

Where Typhoid Fever Has Been Found In Washington
The Washington Times, August 13, 1905

Bicycle Tours In And About Washington
The Washington Times, May 24, 1896

Map Of The Boundary Stones In Alexandria County, Virginia
The Washington Herald, March 3, 1907

A Projected Relief Park Map Of The United States
The Washington Times, March 28, 1897

Map Of The Washington Herald Newspaper Circulation
The Washington Herald, November 26, 1906

Street Railway Connections To Plaza of Union Station [...The Plaza is now
called Columbus Circle]
The Washington Herald, January 31, 1909
 ==//==

View The Black & White Maps:
http://www.nikolasschiller.com/blog/index.php/archives/2009/11/29/5162/
http://www.cafepress.com/geospatialart.419548164

View The Maps That I Colorized:
http://www.nikolasschiller.com/blog/index.php/archives/2009/11/30/5169/
http://www.cafepress.com/geospatialart.419544149

More Information on Chronicling America:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/>
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/about/
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/

I hope you enjoy these maps as much as I've had finding them!

Sincerely,
Nikolas Schiller
Washington, DC
http://nikolasschiller.com <http://nikolasschiller.com/>