From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:05:30 -0600
Subject:        Re: Metadata standards for GPS coordinates?
Date:   Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:59:47 -0500
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Doesn't one have to be careful with positive and negative signs here,
particularly since people might begin to use automatic online
calculators, which might not make the requirement apparent:

    "Positive latitudes are north of the equator, negative latitudes are
    south of the equator. Positive longitudes are east of Prime
    Meridian, negative longitudes are west of the Prime Meridian.
    Latitude and longitude are usually expressed in that sequence,
    latitude before longitude." (quoted from Wikipedia)

My apologies to those to take this as self-evident. The current
requirements in the 034 field are posted:
http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/es/0xx/034.shtm, and both entry systems
are discussed. Looking at those, the "+" sign is optional. In the 255
field it appears to the use of the older directional symbol (N, S, E,
W), rather than plus and minus signs. Is it the intent to eventually
standardize the formats between those two entries?

                  Joel Kovarsky