From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 17:37:53 EST
2 messages.---------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 10:24:18 -0800 (PST)
>From: the Robot Vegetable <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: roadmaps-L list

        Hi,
        I am performing the role of list mechanic.  I collect maps,
but I only have a few hundred and consider myself a light weight.
I hit the UO Map library when I get strung out.

        I feel like I should address a few points raised by this
interesting post.  First,  the personality of a list is formed
by what people post.  This is a brand new list.  Your post helps
determine just what gets talked about.

>    So far there have been one or two messages that have mentioned an
>    interesting article or book.

        There have been quite a few packed with interesting
history.

>       The majority though fall into the following categories:
>    "I love maps"

        This may be a waste of time,  but "I love maps" too,
and feel that some initial enthusiasm is not a bad thing.

>    I collect "X;" does anyone have any to trade?
>    I sell "X;" does anyone want to buy them?
>    How do I store maps?
>    Where can I buy maps?
>    Where can I buy maps cheap?

        These questions seem to fit squarely in the theme.

>    And lots of questions and answers that make me sad to see there are
>    still so many people in the world who don't know what libraries are
>    for.

        I would hesitate to come to this conclusion.  In all probablity
we all know how to use the library.  A mailing list is not a
dictionary,  it is a group of people.  If someone asks a question
that they could answer in the library,  I don't get the pleasure of
seeing a question that wouldn't have occurred to me, but that is
nonetheless interesting,  answered by knowledgeable folk.
        There is of course a way to balance this.  I wouldn't
care for messages asking what the definition of 'legend' is, but
I could find its history in the library.  I suspect there is
a mind out there that knows a lot about this and could inform
all of us.

>    So far it's very American oil company and state departments of
>    transportation. There were a few mentions of other countries.
>    Obviously, all very 20th century.

        The address is available internationally.  I suspect
everyone on the list would be interested in unAmerican activites.

        I am in the process of getting a digest set up.  I will
post to the list when it's available.

        veg

>Date: Mon, 04 Mar 1996 13:13:17 -0600
>From: [log in to unmask] (The Schuls)
>Subject: Re: roadmaps-L list

>   Greetings and salutations to my colleagues on maps-L and lis-maps:
>
>   As a public service I would like to let you know that I subscribed
>   to the new roadmaps-L list of Friday 1 March and on Monday morning
>   over sixty messages were waiting for me; after lunch another twenty
>   had arrived, with new messages coming in every few minutes.
>   Obviously, a heavy traffic list.
>
>   So far there have been one or two messages that have mentioned an
>   interesting article or book. The majority though fall into the
>   following categories:
>
>   "I love maps"
>   I collect "X;" does anyone have any to trade?
>   I sell "X;" does anyone want to buy them?
>   How do I store maps?
>   Where can I buy maps?
>   Where can I buy maps cheap?
>   And lots of questions and answers that make me sad to see there are
>   still so many people in the world who don't know what libraries are
>   for.
>
>   So far it's very American oil company and state departments of
>   transportation. There were a few mentions of other countries.
>   Obviously, all very 20th century.
>
>   Map librarians may actually find a few things of use in
>   acquisitions; trouble is, you'll have to wade through quite a bit.
>
>   To my British friends, the word "trainspotting" comes to mind. Any
>   American friends who don't know what that means are very welcome to
>
>   And I like road maps!
>
>   **********************************************************************
>   April Carlucci                [log in to unmask]
>   The British Library                        Voice +44 171 412 7000x4167
>   Map Library                                      +44 171 412 7703
>   Great Russell Street                       Fax   +44 171 412 7780
>   London  WC1B 3DG
>   United Kingdom               "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

April,

I'm sorry you're dissatisfied with the roadmaps-l list so far.  We began the
list less than a week ago, so I hope you won't pass judgment on it at this
stage in its life.  I've made it a point to promote the list to academics
like yourself, and many have joined.  If you haven't seen posts from many of
them yet, it's because few topics of academic interest have been introduced.
Rather than decrying the lack of interesting material, why not contribute
some yourself?  You may just be the one to get the list on track.

Dave Schul