From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 15:35:46 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:11:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sample scan of old AMS-series
Sender: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>

Mary,
    Wonderful!
    These would be very useful to a lot of libraries (and their users).
     1.  As sources for map libraries to make printouts of index maps they lack
     2.  To be used as extra (non-disappearing) copies of (or even as substitutes for) printed index maps.  Libraries could put the URL into their catalog records.  This ought to make users very happy since among other advantages users could do all their bibliographic work before coming to the map collection (and they could do it 24/7).  Libraries could make and mount duplicate versions annotated with their own holdings if desired.
     3.  Images could be enhanced with hotlinks if/when the actual maps they represent are online.
     4.  I found the images to be very slow to load even with our fast PC and DSL line.  I wonder if reformatting them as GIFs might make the file size smaller?  If not, maybe the dpi could be reduced, at least in some instances -- but we do want to retain their present excellent readability.
     Phil
Philip Hoehn, Librarian
David Rumsey Collection
San Francisco