From:
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 11:56:21 -0400
Subject: Re: SuDoc for early 70's CIA maps]
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

The maps for which I have SuDoc numbers and their sources are below

> * Iran [501161; 3-73]
> * Ethiopia [500824; 9-72]
PrEx 3.10/4:Et 3/972 (Library of Congress record, OCLC #5446895)

> * Yemen (Aden) [501280; 5-73]
> * Mexico [500658; 6-72]
PrEx 3.10/4:M 57/972 (Library of Congress record, OCLC #5449636)

> * Jordan [500864; 10-72]
> * Azimuthal Equidistant Projection Centered on Frankfurt,
> West Germany [800585 (A05496); 10-86]
PrEx 3.10/4:Az 4/4 (Library of Congress record, OCLC #15657107)

Those for which I have no number are items not in my collection.  If I had
them in the collection, and did not have a number, I would have created a
number and applied an additional character at the end, an 'x' for example,
to indicate that it was not created by GPO.  There seem to be several from
the late 60s and the 70s that did not get into the GPO depository program,
but did go into public circulation.  In some cases, the Documents
Expediting Service of Library of Congress seems to have acquired maps that
GPO did not.  In the cases I have seen, LC does not give a SuDoc # for the
map.

While I use the LC class as the call number, it is still useful to have
the SuDoc for an additional point of retrieval (especially for my own work
with them), and so I take the expedient of creating my own numbers when
necessary, and add the extra character.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA